Saturday, May 10, 2014

Vaesen


Vaesen from The Animation Workshop on Vimeo.

I've been on the search for 2D animated films that I find different, interesting and experimental, in the hopes that it'll help broaden my mind to the different ways the medium can be used. I was immediately struck by the visual style of the short film Vaesen, it recalled for me the illustrations of Aubrey Beardlsey, Harry Clarke, etc. which I've loved and been inspired by for a long time - it actually looks like a living illustration you'd see in an old fairy tale book. The backgrounds are incredible and really lavishly detailed, they look like covers off a 70s prog-rock or metal record, which is fitting as it also happens to have awesome prog-rock style music which really sets it apart from other films I've seen. I took note of how the artist separated the backgrounds across separate layers and moved them so that they had depth. Although the characters are flatly coloured they fit in seamlessly, and often dramatic lighting and shadow is used which helps cement them into their surroundings.

Narratively, there isn't a great deal to go by upon the first viewing - it seems quite open to interpretation, full of folkloric references and symbols. Which makes it all the more compelling and atmospheric in my opinion. It feels like a world which I want to explore and learn more about

I really love it, I feel like it's a combination of everything I like, artistically - high fantasy, Aubrey Beardsley-esque illustration, rock music, a general eerie, ambiguous atmosphere. These may not apply to the film I'm making at the moment, but it is still very inspiring.



EFECTO LOBO from sunshine animation on Vimeo.

This little video has a nice break down of stylised 'swirly' animation, it's always useful to see indications of how other animators work, although I don't think I'll be able to achieve something this crisp and neat-looking it's good reference for how to achieve that Hercules-type flame/smoke effect which I hope to include in my film.

No comments:

Post a Comment