Friday, May 2, 2014

Wacom Cintiq

I'm aware that the Wacom Cintiq is generally what all the professionals use, to the point where some job advertisements wish applicants to have previous experience with the hardware. I've never thought seriously about getting one yet as they are very expensive, but I spoke briefly with my tutor about it after I complained how I couldn't sketch animation frames as well with a tablet as I could on paper. He suggested I consider investing in a 12 inch Cintiq. I did a bit of research and found the 13HD which sells for around £600-700. I read some mixed reviews about the 12WX, artist Sam Hogg has written about her experience here saying how the screen colour was so desaturated it didn't match up to her other monitors at all, no matter how much she re-calibrated and changed the settings. In the end she had to return it.

I'd already had doubts about working on such a small screen, so this planted some serious questions in my mind whether it's worth getting any Cintiq other than the 22 - 24HD editions. But even these ones have mixed reviews, which is very concerning considering their price. Users comment on the screen resolution, which in comparison to the HD monitors you'd become accustomed to as a creative professional, are apparently 'dismal'. Although all-in-all it's an excellent product - and as I'm certainly not very fussy when it comes to hardware, I'd probably be more than happy with it -  it seems that it's a bit too far out of my price range at the moment. I'd rather wait until I have an income and invest in a 24inch version as I think this will be more suited to illustration and digital painting than the smaller-screened models. Until then, I'm happy with my Intuos5.


No comments:

Post a Comment