Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The ship's interior environment: displacement mapping

I wasn't sure how to approach the interior of the ship, as I think largely it will go unnoticed due to the overall darkness of the scene. My original thought was for it to be piles of rubble and rock, but as I have lost quite a lot of time and am approaching the deadline, I've just ended up using default Maya textures.

I was intrigued when I came across a tutorial explaining how to create a terrain using displacement maps.



The results of this technique can look very realistic and intricate. Here's my results:



My main issue with this is that it looks very large-scale. I would only need to use a small section of this terrain to animate my scene. I tried to repeat this technique using my own hand-painted displacement map, but it came out looking very strange and 'crystallised' as opposed to organic like above. 

Unfortunately due to time restraints I've decided to abandon trying this method. I went back to the original scene I created in Maya, and added a 3d rock texture with a noise bump map. I experimented with different effects until I came to one I like. (You can see some of the results in the previous blog). I lowered the 'eccentricity' of the specularity so it didn't look so smooth, and increased the bump map to create a 'glittering' rock look. 

The geometry of the scene itself isn't really what I wanted to use in the end - it doesn't look particularly good.   However as there's only  few days now until the final crit, I really needed to start working on the animations and get started on the comping, as that's what this module is revolving around. In After Effects I am going to maybe add a vignette effect and generally play a lot with the lighting to hide the surroundings as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment