I was intrigued when I came across a tutorial explaining how to create a terrain using displacement maps.
My main issue with this is that it looks very large-scale. I would only need to use a small section of this terrain to animate my scene. I tried to repeat this technique using my own hand-painted displacement map, but it came out looking very strange and 'crystallised' as opposed to organic like above.
Unfortunately due to time restraints I've decided to abandon trying this method. I went back to the original scene I created in Maya, and added a 3d rock texture with a noise bump map. I experimented with different effects until I came to one I like. (You can see some of the results in the previous blog). I lowered the 'eccentricity' of the specularity so it didn't look so smooth, and increased the bump map to create a 'glittering' rock look.
The geometry of the scene itself isn't really what I wanted to use in the end - it doesn't look particularly good. However as there's only few days now until the final crit, I really needed to start working on the animations and get started on the comping, as that's what this module is revolving around. In After Effects I am going to maybe add a vignette effect and generally play a lot with the lighting to hide the surroundings as much as I can.