Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Working in Unity


For the level itself, I kept the terrain size quite small. The main focus of the environment is the house, and the spooky atmosphere leading up to it, so there isn't any particular reason why it would be required of the player to wander deep into the surrounding forest. It was somewhat difficult to give the impression of a forest with only two tree varieties and an increasing polycount; I placed trees outside of the terrain to give the impression of them going into the distance. I'm also going to have quite a dense, dark fog present so that distant objects only become visible as you approach them, again giving the illusion that the scene is bigger than it is (hopefully). 

The main problem I found after I'd finished putting the scene together, was figuring out the lighting and how to make sure that the house stood out rather than just fading into the darkness. The scene is set at night time, but I had to incorporate some sort of coloured lights to guide the player. On our final crit where other people in the class tested our levels, somebody suggested I have something leading up to the house - some sort of candy lamppost. I thought that this was a very good idea as it would make the pathway much more interesting and add some elements of anticipation. I also added a light on the house itself so that it illuminates slightly.

After ensuring that the player can walk around and approach the house with ease, I looked into what sounds I could use to heighten the atmosphere. I knew I certainly wanted some quirky, Danny Elfman-esque music. I also added some diagetic sounds - the door makes a knocking noise when you click it, and upon walking towards the gate a spooky voice whispers "what are you doing?

All-in-all I was mainly trying to evoke curiosity in the player and express a slightly skewed but whimsical version of the fairytale.

No comments:

Post a Comment