Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hansel and Gretel character ideas

To further define the style of my environment, I thought it would help me to sketch some potential designs for the characters. My idea was that the player would be in control of either Hansel or Gretel. It is set a few years after the events of the traditional fairytale. The children have been mentally scarred by the events and have been experiencing nightmares/visions of the witch and house. They decide to return to the house to see what has become of it, only to find the enchantment which the witch used to construct and maintain it's candy structure has faded over the years, the house becoming distorted and melted. It has, however, become twisted in other ways, and the children, upon entering the house, fall into a surreal candy world which would be the game's main setting.

To reflect the fantastical elements of the game I thought the children's designs would be highly stylised in a way inspired by Psychonauts. I initially drew them looking too young. I thought that presuming they are around the age of 6-7 in the fairytale, here they would be about 12. 


Final coloured version! (I think I made Hansel looks a bit crazy):

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy this too much :D I love the bow ties on the hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm happy that you like it! :)

      Delete