Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gingerbread house concept, continued...


Progress on my gingerbread house concept! I chose the silhouette that I liked best and worked from that on a coloured concept design. I took a quick screenshot whilst working showing with silhouette I chose, and how I developed on that into a more solid design.

I liked this silhouette because it was a slightly more conventional cottage shape, with the oven/laboratory stuck on the back. I thought this would give the opportunity to play with contrasting between the fairytale/candy and technological aspects of the building.



The final design so far - I've kept it rough in places so that I can explore more whilst modelling rather than having to stick rigidly to my drawings. I'm not sure about the colour scheme yet - I was trying to make it look like sunset, but I'm no longer sure if this fits the atmosphere I'm trying to create. 

I took the image and altered the colours, to get a quick impression of the effects I could create, but I still haven't settled on one... I may need to create some more concept art so I can better ground my idea.

I chose to work in a colourful, exaggerated style reminiscent of stylised platform games that have inspired me since I was young. Since starting this project I've also been playing more platformers to have a closer look at their environments and how they have been structured. For instance the environments in Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy are vibrant and exaggerated, but it's entirely open-world with no loading screens, so it's vital that assets are modelled simply, so that they load quickly to a high quality. 



Oversized roofs seem to be a commonly used aspect of building design in stylised games, like this one from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. (Thanks Lija!) 


This house design is actually very useful to study - in my house, the roof will be made of gingerbread/candy "tiles", which I need to figure out how to model effectively. This house has similarly oddly-sized tiles, and it seems that simple planes have been used with the texture drawn so that areas of it are transparent, thus creating the rough edges. This method would be a much more economical way of working than modelling the tiles individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment