Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Dragonboy" and "850 Meters"

I've been having a browse for any animated films that might be relevant to what I'm trying to achieve in my own. I came across DragonBoy on Vimeo.


Dragonboy from Dragon Boy on Vimeo.


There's a few things I really like here that might inspire some of the decisions in my film. First off is the music, which is typically cinematic and reflects the innocence of  the princess, sinisterness of the knight, and heroism of the dragon, etc.

I'd like to find something quite dramatic and heroic for my film, as I think it will contrast well with the character and the realisation that it is in fact just a toy.

The next thing I found myself drawn to was the "set" on the stage in the film, the cardboard cut-out castle, sky, trees. I haven't considered adding UV textures to my models as my primary concern is getting the animation complete, but if there is time I'd really like to add more detail onto them so that the theme and handmade "look" of the film is more obvious and effectively drawn together.

Going on the whole medieval theme I also found this.


850 METERS teaser from THURISTAR on Vimeo.

I instantly fell in love with this teaser because of it's fantastic art style, music and humour. The dramatic slow-motion completely contrasts the fact that the knight is useless at being... well, a knight. I had a closer look into the company, THURISTAR, and the other videos that they have available. As they produced the film, they also usefully shot a "making of" film which gives a really interesting look at the processes behind a project such as this. Here's one of the episodes which follows the creation of the storyboards, from drawings to animatics.


850 METERS, the making-of : #2 Storyboard and Animatic (VOST-FR) from THURISTAR on Vimeo.

I'd love to be able to go into this amount of detail in my film's design. Although this isn't possible right now, the cartoonish movements and over-the-top heroism of the character is inspiring and I will try to place elements of this into my film.


Knight Animation Test from Mummu on Vimeo.

Also, a short animation test of a knight character, which gives me ideas for the sorts of movements I will be including. I was wanting Sackboy to draw his sword and dramatically brandish it across the sky, so it would be useful to have some sort of reference for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment