Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Isolation inspiration: Erick Oh

I discovered the artist Erick Oh whilst looking for animations that might be similar in style and atmosphere to our Isolation film. I was instantly drawn to his painterly style which includes some surreal elements to express symbolism and emotion.
" My art isn’t about pretty lines or nice colors. It’s the healing process for wounds from my youth and current daily life. Furthermore, aside from my personal story, I just can’t ignore all the tears and pains in our lives.., religion, politics, history.. There are so many tragic things we just don’t see. Yes, I fight racism. I fight for  the minority. My hope is that viewers can hear my calm but clear whisper through my creation, and be consoled to gain some energy and inspiration for the lives... "


His images often feature lonely, simplistic characters existing in surreal little landscapes and worlds, and I was instantly reminded of our animation. With his use of a near-black and white colour scheme and a watercolour texture effect, Erick has really managed to capture a dark sense of isolation and melancholy in his work and I hope we can achieve similar effects in our film. 

Through his blog I accessed his website and found some beautiful animated films he has worked on. In particular, this trailer for his 2010 film "Heart", which again similarly utilises mainly monochromatic colour scheme, a grey cloudscape as a background and wonderfully focuses on the actions and expressions of the bizarre, featureless characters. 

Heart (trailer) from Erick Oh on Vimeo.

From these pieces of artwork I think we can take ideas for shot composition and framing, and of how to position the character in it's vast scene. There are a wide range of cuts and shot styles, similar to a live action film, as opposed to the animation taking place in a single shot. Considering this is a film module and not an animation module we do need to really take into account how we utilise different shots so our animation has a cinematic feel and is relevant in film analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment