Thursday, December 1, 2011

Maya: Deforming and basic shading

We had quite a fun lesson today on the deformers tool in Maya. Basically these are tools which can twist, bend, squash, flare, etc. shapes to create more dynamic and interesting models and animations. The entire morning was spent just playing around with this.

We then learnt about Hypershade, and how to colour and texturise shapes and add in lighting and shadows. I certainly need more practice with this, particularly on textures, but in the end I managed to create this little fellow:

(he is standing on a heart)



I felt a bit more free to be creative today, as opposed to our previous lesson on animating which was very precise and technological. I enjoyed experimenting with the deformers and shapes, and next week I'll be attempting to build a replica of my little Micropet cat. I can see this being a challenge already...

No comments:

Post a Comment