Sunday, November 13, 2011

Artists: Ben Templesmith

I'm not a regular reader of comics and graphic novels - I am interested in familiarising myself with them but there's simply too many to choose from, I don't know where to begin. But, if something really catches my eye I like to take time to study the artwork and techniques used in visually conveying a story.

One of these was 30 Days of Night: Red Snow, which introduced me to Ben Templesmith. His illustrations are loosely drawn in a eerie, gothic style that perfectly fits the atmosphere of the story. 



Through further research I've become more interested in looking for Templesmith's other work, and I also came across this interview in which he speaks about a variety of topics, including the importance of an education (or lack thereof) in being a successful artist, and a glimpse at the economical side of being an artist. 

His work is partly traditional and partly digital, showing how the two mediums can be combined to create the most effective results. I found some additional info here, in particular an idea of his work process: 

"Templesmith’s artistic process often starts with pens and watercolours to produce a preliminary piece which he then finishes with various Photoshop layering techniques. To explore his process in-depth check out issue 44 of Advanced Photoshop Magazine. He also occasionally provides insights into his process on his personal website where he posts progress shots of various works."




No comments:

Post a Comment